The sale order management at large comprises of getting orders from various online sales channels, followed by picking the order item(s) from the storage area, do the quality check, pack the Q.C. passed item(s) and finally handing over the shipment(s) to the logistics provider for delivery to customer.
Before you read any further, it is important to understand meaning of following terms:
Order : an order is a request by customer to purchase a single item or multiple items. An order can have items from multiple sellers on marketplace.
Order Item : each unique item in an order is termed as order item. An order can have multiple quantities of a single order item.
Shipment : a shipment is a package containing a single or multiple items of an order. It is important to note that the items in an order can be fulfilled in multiple shipments, even by same seller. Also, a shipment cannot have items from different orders.
: each shipment will have a corresponding Invoice. Forward shipments will have a corresponding
SALE INVOICE and return shipments will have a
SALE RETURN INVOICE. Gatepasses and Return Gatepasses will also have corresponding invoices.
A comprehensive workflow for sale order processing is provided below, which details each step in the forward and reverse journey of an order.
The forward delivery means when the shipment picked form the seller or marketplace and delivered to the customer.
- On receiving the order the Uniware does inventory allocation for the ordered item(s). If the inventory is available the item is marked Fulfillable, else Unfulfillable.
- If the Facility that the order item is allocated to doesn’t have a Shipping Provider mapped to them, or if the pincode given is not valid or if the serviceability of the pincode has not been mapped, the order item status changes to Location not serviceable.
- A Manifest is specific to a sales channel, which means that a manifest can contain shipments pertaining to orders from a specific channel only.
- Manifest closure is the trigger for status changing to Dispatched, not a separate step unless force dispatch is used
- A Picklist can contain all the items to be picked from storage area at a particular time irrespective of the orders or the sales channels.
The reverse delivery means when the shipment picked form the customer and delivered back to the seller or marketplace.
- If cancelled before invoicing no additional action is required. It is in the picklist, item has to be putback via Putback process then PUTAWAY_PICKLIST_ITEM is required.
- If cancelled after invoicing but before dispatch, there is a Putaway process, item has to be putaway through PUTAWAY_CANCELLED_ITEM.
- For item level traceability, If cancelled after dispatch, it is treated as Courier Returned item and it has to be added to return manifest and then PUTAWAY_COURIER_RETURNED_ITEMS.
- For None or SKU level traceability, If cancelled after dispatch, it is treated as Courier returned item and shipment status can be changed to Returned from the order tab and completed from there.
The Order Status is marked completed when dispatched from warehouse and remains same thereafter (unaffected by returns). While the Order Item Status and Shipment Status are specific pertaining to both the forward and reverse delivery. The forward delivery means the shipment is delivered to the customer, whereas the reverse delivery is when the shipment is sent back to seller. Following is the complete list of statuses for Order, Order Item and Shipment as supported by Uniware:
- PENDING_VERIFICATION: order awaited to be accepted manually by seller for processing, remains on the marketplace till acceptance. This order state is optional.
- CREATED: when order is created on the marketplace.
- PROCESSING: when order is being processed for dispatch at seller end. Any state between created and dispatched.
- COMPLETE: order is dispatched from the warehouse.
- CANCELLED: order is cancelled on the marketplace.
For Forward Delivery:
- CREATED: item added to an order on the marketplace.
- FULFILLABLE: inventory for the ordered item(s) is available and has been allocated.
- UNFULFILLABLE: inventory for the ordered item(s) is NOT available and cannot be allocated, So the Unfulfillable order items can be cancelled if inventory is not made available.
- CANCELLED: item cancelled on the marketplace.
- DISPATCHED: item dispatched from warehouse.
- DELIVERED: item delivered to the customer.
- LOCATION_NOT_SERVICABLE: If shipping is not configured in warehouse.
- MANIFESTED: once shipment is added in a manifest for respective item.
- PICKING_FOR_STAGING: item is in picking or picked for staging in Uniware.
- PICKING_FOR_INVOICING: item is picking or picked for invoicing in Uniware.
For Reverse Delivery:
- REPLACED: when customer replaces order with some new item, original order is marked as REPLACED, while a new order is created for replacement.
- RESHIPPED: when a courier returned item is reshipped by selecting Wait for return & Reship, Reship Immediately & Expect Return or Reship Immediately & Don’t Expect Return the order item status changes to RESHIPPED.
For Forward Delivery:
- CREATED: shipment(s) created for an order.
- LOCATION_NOT_SERVICEABLE: delivery location not serviceable.
- PICKING: item to be picked from the storage area.
- PICKED: item picked from storage area.
- PACKED: invoicing done and the shipment is packed.
- READY_TO_SHIP: label generated and the shipment is now ready to ship.
- CANCELLED: the shipment is no longer valid for taking any action.
- MANIFESTED: shipments is added into manifest.
- DISPATCHED: the shipment is dispatched.
- SHIPPED: shipment is shipped by shipper to customer.
- DELIVERED: shipment is delivered to customer.
- PENDING_CUSTOMIZATION: order pending for customization.
- CUSTOMIZATION_COMPLETE: order customization complete.
- SPLITTED: for any order, a shipment is divided into many small shipments for separate delivery.
- MERGED: for any order, many small shipments are combined as single shipment for collective delivery.
For Reverse Delivery:
- RETURNED: shipment returned to seller (warehouse).
- RETURN_ACKNOWLEDGED: the warehouse acknowledges the receipt of returned shipment(s).
The following user roles are pre-defined in Uniware:
- Catalog Manager
- Inbound Manager
- Pick and Pack
- Returns Manager
- Sales Manager
- Warehouse Manager
- The Admin can define new user roles with its permissions.
- The is recommended for our API consumers to have admin level access. However, in cases where access needs to be defined for certain APIs, get in touch with our solutioning experts or your account manager to check feasibility and implement it.